What's the difference?
A checklist item is an individual step in the task, whereas a subtask is a task that has a parent task, with its own checklist items. All checklist items and subtasks that are part of the same task are grouped together in the task grid. They are ordered by time of creation.
Task Grid Header
Under the Task Description you will find the task grid header.
On the left you will see an overview of the number of checklist items and subtasks.
On the right, you will see the last modification to the task as well as a toggle to hide or show the tasks that are already completed. The toggle will change the numbers shown on the right.
By default the completed items are hidden, you can select the 'Show completed items" options if you prefer.
Columns of the Task Grid
Number: tasks are organized based on time of creation with the oldest at top and newest being added to the bottom
Checkbox: has two options: open/incomplete when blank and closed/complete when checked
Item: title of the subtask or checklist item
Assigned: Person who is responsible for this item
Deadline: Date this item is meant to be finished by.
How to Create a Checklist Item
Click on + New Checklist item, located at bottom of grid and type checklist item title. Press enter to save.
To edit, click on the item title.
If you wish to add a URL to the checklist item, it will be automatically detected and linked.
Once the checklist item is created you can click on the space under the Assigned column to assign this item to someone. Start typing the name you are looking for and a dropdown of possible matches will appear underneath. Click the name to assign.
You can then click on the space under the Deadline column to choose a date on pop-out the calendar.
Alternatively if your browser’s language is set to US English, you can click on the text input and type the date in MM/DD/YYYY format.
How to Create a Subtask
Once you have created a checklist item, you can click on the Overflow Menu at the far right of the row, then Convert to Subtask.
Clicking on the subtask number, will bring you to a new screen tab where you can create checklist items within that subtask.
Keyboard Control of Task Grid
- Once in the task, pressing the Tab button will reveal a hidden button to Skip to Add New Checklist Field. Press Enter to go to the New Checklist Item cell at the bottom of the grid.
- Once in the grid, you can navigate using Tab to move to the next cell, Shift+Tab to move the the previous cell, and the up, down, left, and right arrow keys.
- If you are in a text input cell, the arrow keys will move the cursor within that cell. If the cursor is at the beginning or end of the cell, pressing the left or right arrow respectively will move to the next cell. If the cursor is somewhere in the middle, press Tab to move to the next cell.
- In a text input field, press Enter to save and move to the next cell.
- You can navigate to the Calendar dropdown via keyboard, but cannot navigate within it. To enter a date, once in the Deadline cell, press Enter, and then navigate the input using the left and right arrow keys. The date will follow the format MM/DD/YYY.